The Evacuation of Liverpool

During World War II approximately 130,000 people were evacuated away from Merseyside.  These weren’t only school children, but also pregnant women, young mothers with babies and disabled adults.  By 1st September 1939, war with Germany seemed inevitable.  Although nothing was official, people feared they would be attacked as soon as war was declared, so evacuation began days before Prime Minister Chamberlain declared war over the wireless.

The Liverpool Corporation arranged for children to be moved to the quiet countryside of Cheshire and North Wales, where they would be much safer from bomb attacks.  Many children were evacuated by ship from Liverpool to Canada, South Africa, New Zealand or Australia and many of these evacuees never returned home. However hard it might have been, for many parents this was one way to ensure their children would survive even if Britain was invaded.

world war II evacuation lime street

Unexpectedly, after war had been declared, months passed by and the bombs didn’t arrive… this was known as “the Phoney War” and many children were brought back home to Liverpool.  However, once France fell to the Nazis in May 1940, german planes moved much closer to the English Channel and soon after the Blitz on Britain began in earnest!

evacuees liverpool
© Photo by Keystone/Hulton Archive/Getty Images

Like parents in all major industrial cities, those in Merseyside had to be persuaded to let their children go to strangers many miles away for an unknown length of time.  Newsreel reports showing bombs and gas attacks in Spanish cities helped persuade many parents, as did information from schools, loud hailers, churches and newspapers.  Understandably many parents did not want to let their children go, so they stayed in Liverpool.

evacuation poster wwII

world war II evacuation lime street

Inevitably, children reacted differently to this stressful upheaval… some were frightened, others saw it as a great adventure!  Many had not been to the countryside before, nor seen fields or farm animals and were overwhelmed by their new surroundings.

Once children arrived at their destination with their gas masks across their shoulders, they were chosen by billeters who often made their choice based on how the child looked and how strong and healthy they seemed.  Many were separated from their siblings, which was often very traumatic.  Some children were not selected at all and were taken from home to home by the organisers who tried to find them places.

evacuated children wwii

There were many reports of billeters being shocked by the condition of children from poorer inner-city areas; they were very often dirty and ill-dressed.  Lice, malnutrition and diseases such as impetigo, scabies, and diptheria were common in densely populated urban areas, but were very rare in the countryside.

evacuation bathtime

Experiences varied dramatically and inevitably a lot of it was down to pure luck.  Many children had a wonderful time and some even refused to leave at the end of the war.  Some even chose to be adopted by their billeted parents.  Thousand of children lived away from Merseyside for several years.  In that time they had grown a lot and become accustomed to being distanced from their parents; some reunited families were practically strangers.  Many children returned to Merseyside able to speak Welsh fluently – some had forgotten almost all the English they knew.

The most unlucky children were placed where they were not wanted.  Some had a miserable time; fed poor food, forced to live outside and work long hours.  There were several cases of physical, mental and sexual abuse.

Mothers often suffered terribly.  They missed their children and at the same time were struggling to cope with bomb raids, rationing and the absence or even death of their husbands.  They were also asked to pay what they could towards their children’s upkeep.  Parents could visit their children but were encouraged not to do so often as this could unsettle the children.  Consequently, mothers usually knew little about the people who were raising their children.

evacuees return home

For most children and parents, the return home meant a very emotional and happy reunion.  There’s no doubt the evacuation of children from Britain’s cities during the Blitz did save lives.

44 Comments

• March 20, 2013 - 10:36 | Permalink

I am trying to find the farm I went to when I was evacuated from Liverpool in 1940. I know the village was LLANDEGLA and the farm was the JONES FARM. I would like to get in touch with any of the family who are still alive, as I was very good friends with the farmer’s son. I am planning to go back to the lovely school and church we went to and try to relive the past. Any information anybody can offer will be very helpful!
    Thank you.

• Gaffa
      May 19, 2016 - 13:44 | Permalink

Hi,
      Possible several ways.
      1 The 1939 Register on Find My Past should get you to the farm and will give you the names of the family + others (although some may not be available [due to death > 1991]).
      2 Ruthin Archives may have the evacuees lists for Denbighshire.

I know Anglesey Archives have a spreadsheet of evacuees for 1940 from the Liverpool area for the some of the parishes.

Best of luck

• Ken Sankey
    April 4, 2013 - 17:10 | Permalink

Having been evacuated to Swaffam, Norfolk in 1939, I am curious to know how the project was funded; by central or local government? And were parents obliged to make a contribution?

Interested to hear from anyone with information.

Ken Sankey
    aged 78
    Taunton, Somerset

• Sylvia
    May 7, 2013 - 19:26 | Permalink

I was one of very few, if any, Jewish children evacuated to Chester. The Welsh at that time were very religous and quite prejudiced. I was walked around the city for many hours and was finally found a home that would take me at about midnight. I was eight years old and put into a storage room with no light. I was left there alone and was terrified.

The people who took me in were not unkind, but the food smelled strange and I was afraid to eat anything. It was not a happy experience, I never saw my parents until I believe it was my grandmother came to get me. I have no idea how long I lived in Wales, but I had nightmares for many years. I believed I had been abandoned..

• michael stapleton
    June 1, 2013 - 03:34 | Permalink

My mother was one of the lucky kids, because her sisters husband lived in Oxford. Once the family found out about the 7s 6d which was paid to the adoptive households, they jumped on to the big swindle and fixed it so all the kids lived in Oxford. There where 8 kids in total living with there big sister Sissy, who had a new name so there was no connection between the Booths of Bootle and the Smiths of Oxford, in fact they got more money because they kept all of one family together, SMART OR WHAT?

• Michelle Walsh
    July 6, 2013 - 11:48 | Permalink

Hello, my father Jkhn Walsh was evacuated to Wales during WW2. He lived in Marsh Lane Bootle Liverpool. He cant remember the name of the place he went in Wales but is desperate to find out where he went. Does anyone remember a boy called John Walsh? My dad is 77 in 6 days and i know it would be great for my dad to know any information about anyone or anything about were he might have been evacuated to at thT time.

• ruth quillan
      December 30, 2014 - 14:37 | Permalink

My name is Tony Quillan and I also was evacuated to Wales in 1940 to a place called Llandrindod Wells. I am also from Marsh Lane Bootle and am now 79 yrs old. Does your dad have a brother called Tommy?

• Jean Trew
        September 30, 2016 - 03:00 | Permalink

Hi Ruth,
        My name is Jean and I live in Australia.
        My sister Anne and brother Ted were also evacuated to Llandrindod Wells in Wales.
        Anne to work on a farm and Ted to live with the family who ran the Post Office. Their house was on the top of a hill.
        My Mother sent them away because my Dad was away fighting and she had two more children in Bootle to care for. I came into the world after the war, so I missed what must have been such an horrendous time for our loved ones.

Regards
        Jean Trew (Née Thornton)

• May 4, 2016 - 09:47 | Permalink

Hi my name is Donna & my Dad was evacuated in the war to Cricceth, North Wales. He is 80 this year. Don’t think he would have remembered your dad, but they could share some of their stories with one another. Hope you write back.
      Donna

• michelle walsh
    July 6, 2013 - 11:50 | Permalink

My dads name is John Walsh not the spelling previously posted .

• Daniel Shalloe
    July 14, 2013 - 00:29 | Permalink

Hello everybody. Does anyone out there know what happened in WW2 to the kids at Tiber Street School in Toxteth? I have a picture of my dad there as a six-year-old in 1935 and am assuming he was evacuated when war started, although he never mentioned it.

Hope to hear from you!
    Thanks,
    Dan

• Janet Murdock
      April 10, 2015 - 21:56 | Permalink

Hi there, My dad went to Tiber St. and was evacuated to Kington in 1939 when he was 9. My brother went to the new Liverpool Museum yesterday and said there is an exhibit from Tiber St about children during the war, so I’d like to try and get in touch with anyone, hence finding your enquiry. Maybe we can find more out, hope to keep in touch.
      Janet Murdock

• November 18, 2013 - 19:51 | Permalink

My two brothers and sister where evacuated from Liverpool during the war. I stayed with my mum, dad and baby brother. They where split up when they got to Wales. Sadly my two elder brothers are both dead now, but my sister often talks about it.
    We lived Kirkdale in Melbourn St. no 19 I think. My father was train driver. My mum’s sister lived higher up the street, she was my aunty ethel and one of her sons was captured in Arnhem. I was at my aunty ethel’s house wheh she got a telegram to say he was a prisoner. We moved to warrington at the end the war and sadly we all split up, but I often talk about it to my sister. Haven’t been back since a couple years after war. Anyway thanks for listening.

• Lisa
    December 25, 2013 - 21:14 | Permalink

I am so happy I found this website.

That’s my mother and her older sister pictured in the 5th photograph (my mother is the short dark-haired girl in the middle and her older sister immediately to her left).

My mother moved to New Zealand in the early 60s and we stumbled upon this picture by accident when friends brought some books on Liverpool over to the house. Sadly, my aunt died in 1994 and my mother in 2009 and although this is a bittersweet memory for me and my family, it’s also a fascinating piece of family history.

• January 20, 2014 - 13:16 | Permalink

I am trying to find the people who looked after my brothers – William Henry Murphy, James Murphy & Leslie Murphy. I believe they were evacuated to Bethesda, North Wales. I’d like to find out where they stayed during the Second World War or perhaps have some help accessing evacuee records?

With Thanks,
    Alan Murphy

• May 12, 2014 - 22:33 | Permalink

I am 77 years of age and was evacuated, but for only 2/3 days. I lived right next to the goods yard in Wavertree L15. I had to go all through the war. How I survived I just don’t know.

• john jones
    December 2, 2014 - 21:23 | Permalink

I had just turned 5 years old when the May Blitz started. I was in Clint Road school cellars when the colledge across the street got bombed. I remember the explosion and have a vivid memory of the liverpool bombing because I was not evacuated. I am now 78 and live in New Zealand, but I still remember them dark days.

• Kim knox
      August 21, 2016 - 10:12 | Permalink

Hi John,

My dad, Victor Knox, was in the cellar at that time too, but he’s a bit older than 85 now.
      He lived in Martensen Street.

He was evacuated for 18 months.

Thanks for sharing your memories. I took dad back to his evacution home earlier this year was very emotional.

Kim Knox

• Kim knox
      August 21, 2016 - 10:25 | Permalink

Does anyone recall the Nugent children they where evacuated to Talisarn?
      There were 4 of them: Eric, Amanda, June (my mum) and Roy.

Also my dad, Victor Knox, who was evacuated nearby.

Kim Knox

• Elizabeth Kilbourne
    April 11, 2015 - 14:22 | Permalink

My mother, Dora Lewis, was a Primary School teacher at Beach Road Council Primary School (Infants Dept) Litherland during World War 2.

She and children from the school were evacuated for a short time to Blackpool and then for longer to Wales.

In Wales she was at Llanyre which is near Llnndrindod Wells. She acually lived at the Vicarage where the minister was a Daniel Archer Lewis (M.A. Oxon) (no relation- my father was from Glasgow).

My mother later applied for a different teaching post in June 1942 and Daniel Lewis provided a reference for her.
    In her application my mother writes

“War time has given me experience of modern problems, for I have assisted in the evacuation of children to Blackpool and Radnorshire; have assisted in Group Household Teaching, and for eleven months have had complete charge in a Reception area, of a group of 23 children whose ages ranged from 5 to 8 1/2 years.
    Besides teaching both Infants and Juniors of this group in a Church Hall 3 miles from the nearest school. and taking a special interest in Nature study, I have done welfare work in connection with clothing problems etc. out of school hours.
    During the early months of the war I attended lectures in First Aid, Home Nursing and Gas, obtaining Certificates in all three branches.”

I have been in contact with the current vicar at Llanyre, a Ben Griffith, who thinks the school with which she would have been connected was the Oxford Road School in Llandrindod Wells, which no longer exists but has been replaced by a school called Cefnllys.
    He says the Church Hall where she taught still exists.

My mother died in 2003 but I have been trying to find out details of her and the children’s evacuation. When did they go? How did they get there? When did they return?
    Are there any photos of the teachers and the children in Wales?

Any information would be greatly appreciated or tips as to whom I could approach for more info.
    One of the earlier posts was from someone who had been evacuated from Bootle to Llandrindod Wells and I wonder if there is a connection with my mother’s evacuation.

• Stanley Kirkbride
    April 28, 2015 - 17:48 | Permalink

I was evacuated to Wales during the war. We lived on Scotland Road and I have no idea where we went. As I am now 74 I am keen to find some information…

• Steven Tann
    May 10, 2015 - 13:36 | Permalink

My Mother went to Morrison Girls School, Greenbank Road, Liverpool.
    Her name was Jean Ellison and she was evacuated to North Wales in 1940. She does not remember where though. Does anyone know how to get evacuee information? She is now 86 and would love to know any information from someone who may have known of her.
    Many Thanks, Steven Tann (son)

• Vera Fullard/ Corbett
    June 12, 2015 - 23:42 | Permalink

I was evacuated to Lampeter from St Silas School Dingle. The lady was Mrs Griffiths. Our parents came to visit, but found the place so far away some of the mothers brought us back home. I left my New Ball. I think I was 4yrs old. My Father was taken prisoner during the war and got the DSM at Palace from King George. I remember we celebrated in street when he came home!

• Susan Morgan
    July 22, 2015 - 22:04 | Permalink

My father, James Morgan, was evacuated to Ruabon from Liverpool with his two older brothers, Richard and Michael. In June 1943 some children at the school they were attending found an unexploded grenade and brought it home where Michael died in a tragic accident. My father witnessed it and was himself blown by the blast.

I know of a similar incident that happened further out west near Aberystwyth (I think) where a lad was killed and someone else injured.
    I am interested to know of any other people who had similar stories. There was never any explanation as to where the grenades came from despite a military investigation.
    Best wishes,
    Susan Morgan

• Jean Trew (née Thornton)
      September 30, 2016 - 02:52 | Permalink

Hi Susan,
      My name is Jean and I have lived in Australia for 42 years.
      I feel you may be related to me.
      My maternal grandmother was named Bridget Morgan. She had a sister Kate and a brother Peter, but I’m not sure of the other names. They all lived around Hawthorn Road area as far as I know and they had a lot of Irish relatives.

As far the children of the war, my sister Anne and brother Ted were evacuated from Bootle to Llandrindod Wells in Wales.
      Anne spent 4 years on a farm which she loved, but had to work like an adult. Ted went to the local Post Office. Obviously they both suffered homesickness but Mum had two other children at home and then after the war came me in 1947.
      I am curious to know if we are related in any way?

• Edna Knight
    August 10, 2015 - 14:55 | Permalink

Born in ’37, I was evacuated from Liverpool to Carreg, N. Wales. Stayed with a family there.
    Would love to contact anyone from this wonderful family who took my mother and I in.
    With special thanks to them and the people of North Wales.

• October 17, 2015 - 06:32 | Permalink

When our house was bombed out in Liverpool our father was in the British army. Our grandparents already had a fall house, so our mother evacuated us.

“Us”- my twin brother and myself.
    We were the last two on the platform of a North Welsh village, having arrived there by train.
    None of the villagers wanted two, so we were the last there. The village/area midwife, a Mrs Roberts, had come along to see what was happening without intention of taking anyone. We were about 5 years old (born August 1935) and were never alone! Since she saw that we were always together and played well together, she took us in.
    My memories of Wales are pleasant and believe that our twin togetherness helped us many times. I was the elder by 20 minutes and the “stronger” one.

I have a photo of her with us two on her doorstep.
    Our mother and younger uncle took it in turns to visit us every fortnight, I can still count up to 7 in Welsh, am now recently turned 80 years ‘young’.
    I now live in Israel, but do not remember the name of the Welsh village we were in.
    It was a farming area, we used to go to a farm each morning and bring back a small canister of milk. I remember sitting on the steps of the Church each Sunday, a small outhouse with toys, a small stream at the bottom of the garden, with cows looking over the fence on the other side, looking at us. It was only for about 6-8 months, but I have fond memories of our stay with Mrs. Roberts.

On one of the visits by our uncle, he returned to Liverpool telling our mother we were calling her “Mammy Roberts”. That was the end of our stay there.

I do wish I could find the name of the village, but never thought of asking my older family of uncles and aunts until too late! I had 10 of them.
    If anyone remembers two young male twins, do contact!

• KEITH DONNISON
    November 9, 2015 - 15:45 | Permalink

I AM 78 YEARS OLD AND WAS EVACUATED FROM LIVERPOOL DURING THE LAST WAR WITH MY BROTHER, MALCOLM AND WITH MY MOTHER WHO VISITED US EVERY FEW WEEKS. I AM CURRENTLY READING ABOUT THE LIVERPOOL BLITZ, AS MY GRANDSON ASKED ME TO GIVE A TALK TO HIS CLASS OF EIGHT YEAR OLDS AT HIS SCHOOL.

WE WERE BILLETED OUT IN PICKMERE, CHESHIRE IN A LOVELY LARGE HOUSE RIGHT ON THE SIDE OF THE LAKE OWNED BY A LOVELY, KIND LADY MRS GREENWOOD. I FOUND THE HOUSE A NUMBER OF YEARS AGO, SPOKE TO THE RESIDENTS AND NEIGHBOURS, WHO HAD NO RECOLLECTION OF THIS LADY. WE ARRIVED IN PICKMERE, I THINK AROUND EARLY 1942, HAVING STAYED IN WALTON, LIVERPOOL AS MUM SAID WE SHOULD BE SAFE. JUST PRIOR TO LEAVING LIVERPOOL WE HAD AN INCENDIARY BOMB THROUGH THE ROOF AND WE WERE SENT PACKING POST HASTE.

GIVEN MY AGE MY MEMORIES OF THE WAR YEARS IN LIVERPOOL, AND THEREAFTER, ARE EXTREMELY VIVID. I WOULD LIKE TO REPAY MRS GREENWOOD’S FAMILY IF AT ALL POOSIBLE FOR THEIR KINDNESS. ANY HELP WOULD BE ACKNOWLEDGED, AND GREATLY RECEIVED. WHILST STAYING WITH MRS GREENWOOD, I RECALL ALSO STAYING IN THE HOUSE, THE CREW OF AN AMERICAN BOMBER, THAT CRASHED LANDED OUTSIDE LIVERPOOL AND WAS RECUPERATING. THEY WERE GREAT COMPANY FOR FIVE AND FOUR YEAR OLD LADS FROM LIVERPOOL.

KEITH DONNISON

• S Rimmer
    January 17, 2016 - 23:01 | Permalink

I wonder if anyone reading, or members of their family, went to St Monica’s school in Bootle before the war and can remember what village in Wales they were evacuated too? My father and his brother and sister were all evacuated together. He was 5 at the time. We watched Carrie’s War together once and my father got very upset at the scene of the children left in the village hall because it reminded him that no body wanted them because they would not be separated.

They were eventually taken in by a school mistress called Mrs Bennett. My father said the first thing she said to him was “Go out in the garden and find me the straightest stick you can”. He obliged and his reward was to be beaten with it. They were not allowed out except for school. They had to steal paper which they used to go to the toilet in and discard out of the window of their room. All three children were very unhappy and it was only because a school friend who was billeted with another local family wrote home and told their parents of my Dad’s treatment that my grandparents went down to the Welsh village and brought them home. My father was traumatised and we believe that his poor treatment at the hands of his so called carer led to a lifelong stammer. He tried to remember where he was billeted to for many years. My dad and his siblings have passed away now, but I would like to find out where he was evacuated to for him. Thank you for any help.

• Steve Price
    February 6, 2016 - 20:03 | Permalink

I’ve just found that my Dad, who was a teacher when war broke out, was in Atcham in Shropshire when the 1939 register was taken.

Does anybody know if any schools were evacuated there and if so did the teachers go with them?

• mary mckie
      February 20, 2016 - 18:07 | Permalink

What a coincidence! My mother-in-law was evacuated and as your father was send to a farm in Atcham in Shropshire. The family they were with were called Price… she is Ada McKie neé Cooke.

Price Household (7 People)
      Oak Tree Farm, Atcham R.D., Shropshire, England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
      Ada McKie (Cooke) 07 Apr 1928 Female At School Single 100 7
      Richard Price 11 Sep 1869 Male Farmer Married 100 1
      Annie Price 12 Jun 1876 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 100 2
      Millicent Price 16 Jan 1912 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Single 100 3
      Sydney Price 06 Feb 1916 Male Unpaid Farm Stockman Single 100 4
      Alice Thomas 21 Jan 1880 Female Paid Domestic Help Single 100 5

Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.

• Roger
    February 16, 2016 - 12:03 | Permalink

I’m looking for a brother and sister, Bernard and Pauline Sweeney from Edgehill, Liverpool, who came to Anglesey as evacuees. My mother Edna and Auntie Rosina are looking for them. Thank you

• F.Monaco
    March 13, 2016 - 19:45 | Permalink

My brother and I (George and Frances Sweetman – Anfield Rd. School) were evacuated to Nefyn N. Wales. We left
    from Lime Street station. After the train ride we were take to a Church Hall and put on a stage where people picked who they wanted. I asked to stay with my younger brother, but it didn’t happen. We were in Nefyn for about 2 years. When we returned home, Liverpool looked so gritty and grimy and our house much smaller than I remembered. While in Nefyn, we saw a mine wash up on the beach and a RAF plane crash in the sea.

• john mason
    March 15, 2016 - 14:07 | Permalink

Was anyone evacuated to Caergwle in North Wales around 1941?

• March 17, 2016 - 09:27 | Permalink

I am taking part in a Writing Festival in Wrexham. I am a Liverpool lass and would love to write a monologue for the festival telling the story of somebody who was evacuated from Liverpool and sent to Wrexham. If anyone could help or has any information about themselves or a family member who encountered this experience that would be great. My mobile number is 07746 668 258 if you want to chat or I could come and meet with you somewhere for a chat.

I met with several local people and they said a lot of Liverpool people stayed in Wrexham after the war, so this kind of monologue would be of great interest to the people of Wrexham.

Thank you in advance for your time and memories.

With kind regards

Yvonne Matthews

• McCann
    April 1, 2016 - 18:49 | Permalink

Anyone out there know of a possible evacuee David McCann? He would have been 5 in 1939. His mother’s name was Grace and father Edward my Grandfather. Any help will be so appreciated.
    Best Regards
    Christina

• Doreen Lilley
    July 24, 2016 - 13:11 | Permalink

My sister and I attended Anfield Rd school and were evacuated to Capel Bangor North Wales in Sept. 1939. My mother was able to go with us and looked after a few more children. We lived on a farm and had to walk a long way to school. My mother did NOT like being away from my father, so we only stayed for a few weeks before returning to Liverpool. My parents decided to move out of Liverpool because of future danger, to a village called Aughton. I was only 5 but still have good memories of the journey to Wales and the brief time spent there, especially being on the farm.

• August 29, 2016 - 11:36 | Permalink

Hi
    My dad’s family in Howey (nr Llandrindod Wells) had evacuees from Liverpool at their farm… Billy and Bobby Jones. Their brother Richie stayed close by. My dad is 82 and Billy Jones was same age. Would love to know where you stayed too?

• Bobbie Hill
    September 20, 2016 - 12:42 | Permalink

Hi,

My Nanna Irene (née Drury) turns 80 in October and we would love to reconnect her with a war evacuee that stayed with her and her family when she was a little girl.

The little boy was called Walter Dodd from Wallasey/Bootle. His sister was called June and his Mom was called Anne.

He was evacuated to an area called St Martins in Duddleston Heath near Ellesmere, Shropshire and lived at Withy Cottage. My Great Grandmother Dorris Drury took care of him with her 3 children Hazel, John and Irene Drury whilst their husband/father was in France.

We would love to hear either from relatives of Walter or from Walter himself.

• Karen Rafferty
    September 20, 2016 - 15:46 | Permalink

Just sitting with my dad Gerry Roche who is now 85 yoa. He is reminiscing about his war experience and how he got ‘dragged’ out of an evacuation line by his mother, as she didn’t want any of her six children to be taken away from her. Luckily enough they all survived. My mum (now deceased), then named Winifred Kenny from Scotland Road area, was evacuated to somewhere “in the country”. We think it was in the Greater Manchester area? Unfortunately we don’t have any more info. It’s lovely reading all your stories, as it is reminiscing with my dad x

• Andrea Collins
    October 12, 2016 - 08:17 | Permalink

Hi, I am a third year history degree student currently working on my dissertation, which is about the evacuation of the children and teachers from Anfield Road School to Taliesin. I would love to hear from anyone who has any information about this. I am particularly interested in any letters that may have been sent home from the children.

Please email me at andreacollins80@hotmail.co.uk
    Thank you.

• Moe Hagan neé Milliken
    October 18, 2016 - 13:57 | Permalink

My Dad, Dessie Milliken, and his brothers, John and Pat, were evacuated from Saint Albans school over the bridge in Kirkdale. They were separated and went to a town named Much Wenlock. My Dad Denis (Dessie) was placed with the local baker. His younger brother Pat fell in love with his adoptive parents and refused to go home after the war. My Dad went and talked him into coming home. He didn’t have a nice life back in Liverpool and died in his 30s… my Dad often felt guilty for bringing him home. There were other Milliken children names Kathlene, Alban and Nancy but they were never evacuated. When they stood on the railway platform waiting to be picked a man with a Pug on a lead was there. Never seeing one before my Dad said ‘Hey Mr. your dog’s eyes are hanging out!’.